Monday, January 7, 2008

NHD Topic Choice Essay

Tihira
January 4, 2008

TOPIC CHOICE FOR NHD!!!!!!


National History Day (NHD) is a day where students both elementary and secondary schools research a topic related to a certain theme “Conflict and Compromise” and then expand on it’s past and then they compete in a contest and the winner gets a scholarship for college etc.

In this years National History Day (NHD) contest I will be relating to the theme “Conflict and Compromise”. I will expand on the desegregation of Girard College and what actually caused this racist act to occur. I will be interviewing many people and finding out whether they were actually there to see this happen, collect information related to my topic and put them together to actually figure out what happened during that specific time period and what was going on in the rest of the world and how they felt about it.

Information that I have on my project is very precise I have maintained information on the court cases, books, and the actual will of the late Stephen Girard and what he actually wished before he past away information that he wanted to make known about his college that people misunderstood about it things such as money that he left for poor white orphan boys to get in to school. Girard’s will sparked up a huge civil rights story in Philadelphia causing the Desegregation Act to occur. Cecil B. Moore a criminal lawyer and civil rights leader led the movement because many people wanted the school to admit young black boys as well a they did young white orphan boys.

There is still much information that I must obtain in order to make my project more interesting so that people could understand what it is that I am trying to get them to see about my topic. My topic is very important and there is still much work that needs to be done.

I decided to choose this topic because I felt that my other topic was not strong enough because I did not have enough information related to my last topic which was the murder rate in Philadelphia and then I had to narrow it down and I choose the murder of Ivan Brown who played pro ball and was shot in the head. The topic that I have chosen now allows me to research more information on my topic better than to have someone bring me information at hand. So that is basically why I chose to changed my topic to the Desegregation of Girard College because I have a better chance at getting the information that I need right away besides depending on someone else.

My plans for this project are very precise I plan to go over all the things that need to be covered things such as why was Girard College segregated in the first place? What caused this act to occur? all of those things and much more so basically you should understand where I am going with my topic.

Inconclusion now you can see what my plans are for this project and what to expect from me when this project is done because I want everybody to get a feel of my topic so they can have a brief description of my topic.

No comments: